The following exhortations are taken from a copy of Savvy &Sage September/October 2007 which is an excerpt from July 1943 Transportation Magazine. We have all come a long way baby!
"Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees"
1. Pick young married women. They have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, and are less likely to be flirtatious...
2. Try to hire older women who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives ... less likely to be cantankerous and fussy.
3. Husky girls are more even tempered and efficient than underweight sisters.
4. Retain a physician to give each woman special physical examinations. Reveals any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.
5. Stress that a minute or two here or there makes serious inroads on schedules.
6. Give the females a day long schedule of duties so they won't bother management for instructions every few minutes. Women generally lack initiative in finding work for themselves.
7. Change employees schedules during day from one job to another - females are less inclined to be nervous and happier with changes.
8. Give a girl adequate rest periods - You have to make allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidy, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times daily.
9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or making criticisms. Women are often sensitive. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off efficiency.
10. Don't swear around women. She'll grow to dislike the business where she hears too much of this.
11. Get enough sizes of unifrms so girls can have properly fitting uniform. This is important in keeping women happy.